Once again it’s my better half’s annual 35th Birthday Celebration. And every year I bake him a cake (from the box, I have yet to graduate to baking from scratch). 🙂 This year he wanted a round layer cake with strawberry filling, strawberry topping, cream cheese frosting and rainbow sprinkles.
- 1 box of Betty Crocker Super Moist White Cake
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 8oz packages of cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 sticks of butter at room temperature
- 1 tbsp real vanilla extract
- 4 cups of confectioner’s sugar
- 2 pints of fresh strawberries
- 2 tbsps honey
- 2 tbsps maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tspns fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tspns vanilla extract
Bake cake according to box directions using 2 9in round baking pans. Let cake cool.
Level each cake with a serrated knife.
With a stand mixer, add cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract mix on level 2.
Add the 4 cups of confectioner’s sugar slowly on low. Set aside.
With a food processor, puree strawberries, honey, syrup, lemon and extract until smooth. Chill in refrigerator.
Add first layer of cake on a cake platter. Frost a thin layer so filling won’t seep into the cake. Also frost a barrier around the cake so the filling won’t spill off the sides.
Add strawberry filling.
Add second cake layer. Frost whole cake. Add decorative frosting. Add fresh strawberry slices and sprinkles.
Chill cake in fridge. Serve. 🙂